William D. Hochberg – Attorney
Bill Hochberg earned his undergraduate degree, summa cum laude, from the University of Puget Sound in 1980 and his Juris Doctor from the University of Washington School of Law in 1983. Prior to commencing private practice, he was a Washington state assistant attorney general for the Labor and Industries and Social and Health Service Divisions.
Bill is licensed to practice before the Washington state Supreme Court, United States District Court for the Western District of Washington, and the United States 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. He has tried and argued cases before the Superior Courts in the State of Washington, the Washington State Court of Appeals, the Washington State Supreme Court, the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington, and the United States 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Bill is a member of the Washington State Bar Association, King and Snohomish County Bar Associations, American Association for Justice, and the Washington State Association for Justice (WSAJ, formerly known as WSTLA). He has served on the board of WSAJ for three years. Bill also served on the WSAJ Executive Committee and chaired both the Legislative Steering Committee and the WSAJ Workers’ Compensation Section. Currently, he is the chair of the Washington Trial Lawyers Political Forum.
Bill has successfully argued six seminal and precedent setting cases before the Washington State Supreme Court:
- Harry v. Buse Timber & Sales, 166 Wn.2d 1 (2009)
- Sebastian v. Department of Labor and Industries, 142 Wn.2d 280 (2000)
- Kilpatrick v. Department of Labor and Industries, 125 Wn.2d 222 (1994)
- Department of Labor and Industries v. Fankhauser, 121 Wn.2d 304 (1993)
- Department of Labor and Industries v. Estate of MacMillan, 117 Wn.2d 222 (1991)
- Department of Labor and Industries v. Landon, 117 Wn.2d 122 (1991)
He has also appeared as amicus curiae before the Supreme Court on behalf of the Washington State Labor Council. The positions advocated in those briefs were followed by the Court in:
- Boeing v. Heidy, 147 Wn.2d 78 (2002)
- Cockle v. Department of Labor and Industries, 142 Wn.2d 801 (2001)
- Department of Labor and Industries v. Avundes, 140 Wn.2d 282 (2000)
Contact Bill: [email protected]